Monday, February 06, 2006

Are You Good Enough? - Success

Are You Good Enough? - Success: "Are You Good Enough?


Several years ago, I attended a 'success' seminar in northern Virginia. 'Think of how you'll feel when you reach your goal. Imagine you've arrived! Feel it, smell it.' I don't remember the name of the seminar nor the presenter, but I have two small pieces of wood that have locked that seminar in my mind and changed my life.
If you've ever attended a motivational seminar, you may remember the presenter encouraging you to 'be all you can be.' You may have been convinced that you can make a million dollars or reach other dreams using their methods. This seemed like the way that seminar was headed, until someone began passing us pieces of wood, an 8 X 12 inch board three-quarters of an inch thick. 'Think of how you'll feel when you reach your goal. Imagine you've arrived! Feel it, smell it. Now in one word describe the feeling.' I was skeptical, not really with it. Suddenly inspiration hit-WOW! That's how I would feel. Then the presenter told us to turn the board over and write on the other side what was standing in our way. I couldn't think of anything and as he kept talking, I figured, 'Well this is a waste.' From out of the blue came, 'not good enough.' My insecurity, feeling inadequate, thinking of everyone who could do things better than I, held me back. So I wrote 'not good enough' on the board, only half listening as he was explaining the next step. With our bare hand we could break through the negative idea we'd written on the board and reach our goals. 'Oh, yeah,' I thought. 'Right.' I had to be the oldest, most out of shape person in the room!
Other people rushed to the front of the room to be first in line to break the board. I sat still, looking for someone like me. People began to step up and break through the board."

No comments: